The Ethics Behind a Company

This week’s Rose Cafe was given by Keith Lemnios who founded the company Sun Coffee Roasters in 2006. I found his talk to be very insightful, even for a coffee un-enthusiast like myself. Mr. Lemnios started by talking about the qualities that help a company succeed, the most important of which is having a core message or a mission somewhat independent from the product itself. For his company, their goals are to be environmentally friendly and socially responsible. Their harvesting of coffee beans is done in the rainforests, chemical-free, and their roasting of beans is done with very little pollution emitted. In terms of helping the coffee farmers, Sun Coffee Roasters provides living wages and helps provide education for the children of the farmers in Nicaragua. Mr. Lemnios goes to the country frequently and oversees the building of schools and daycares which help the children complete their education so that they may have opportunities in their lives that their parents did not. This is a mission that resonates particularly well with colleges, and Cornell University is among many that support his company by buying the coffee for the dining halls.

Mr. Lemnios’ parting words were essentially asking us to reflect on our own decisions as consumers when choosing what to buy and which companies to support. This got me thinking about the products that I frequently use and buy. For example, there have been many reports over the years about inhumane labour practices in Apple factories and the Nike sweatshops, etc. Yet, I’m sat here typing this on my Mac computer, with a pair of neon Nikes on the ground below me, and a bunch of ‘fast fashion’ clothes hung neatly in my closet. I am more or less in an ethical dilemma between my wanting to stand by principles on what is right and my own materialist desires for ‘luxury’ goods. I honestly have no idea how to reconcile these two, so I sort of live with this vague feeling of uncomfortable guilt when I think too much about stuff this.

It is so great to hear about how companies like Sun Coffee Roasters are really making a difference in people’s lives and I’m glad that Cornell supports them. I only wish every other company cared so much about the environment and the people.

3 thoughts on “The Ethics Behind a Company

1. I am really amazed to hear about Sun coffee’s focus on sustainability and social impact. Most companies focus on profit than providing assistance for the society. This is particularly important for people in developing countries like Nicaragua.

2. Hi Deepika! I’ve been drinking Sun Coffee every day for the past 2 years and never knew that they were so environmentally and socially responsible. That’s awesome! I too struggle with purchasing unethically sourced goods. I generally avoid animal products when buying food, yet I do little to ensure that I’m buying ethically produced clothing and technology. Knowing that companies like Sun Coffee can thrive is reassuring. Hopefully in the future there will be more companies emphasizing ethically responsible production.

3. Hi Deepika. Thanks for sharing! I completely resonate with you regarding the cognitive dissonance you experience when you buy “fast” goods. I always seem to find myself in this moral dilemma as well. I’m always told that one of the first steps in creating any change is being aware. But what good is being a conscious consumer if we still continue to buy “fast” clothes, for example. Personally, I would like to support companies that have eco friendly practices and descent wages and working conditions for their employees, but as a college student with little money, it can be difficult to buy these products, which are often more expensive. Regardless, I think it’s still a step toward improvement that we are aware of the practices of some corporations and the impact they make on societies and the environment.