Torture- Opinions

This past Rose Cafe, we had a refreshing and interesting change from our usual style and topic of discussions and talked about the controversial topic of torture. Dr. Nick Cheesman from Australian National University and his activist colleague Pornpen Khongkachonkiet led the talk, talking mainly from the lens of Southeast Asia where their work is centered. As someone who grew up in Southeast Asia in the city of Singapore,this was very interesting to me.

I found it really interesting to hear from our two speakers because Pornpen was able to offer us the perspective of someone who witnesses and actually deals with matters of torture on a daily basis, while Dr. Cheeseman offered an academic opinion based on his own research in Myannmnar/Burma.

After hearing the talk and listening to the delicate perspectives and information surrounding torture, my existing opinion around torture- that it is something completley evil and immoral and takes away every piece of humanity from the victim- was reinforced. The talk was a difficult and emotional one but I am glad we were able to hear some expert perspectives on such an important, sensitive yet rarely discussed is

One thought on “Torture- Opinions

1. I agree that this was an emotional talk, although necessary to have. I think your perspective as someone who has lived in South East Asia is very interesting. I agree that hearing from two individuals gave us better insight into the controversial topic of torture.