My Clay Sculpting Masterpiece

Three tiered clay towner

Last Thursday I attended a clay sculpting event and the Johnson Art Museum. As you may be able to tell from the picture of my final product, I have no experience making clay sculptures. I also did not have any ideas of what to make before starting which made things interesting. I ended up deciding to make a tower and see how tall I could make it. The event was actually quite relaxing partially because I had no expectations of making a nice-looking sculpture. It also reminded me of elementary school art class which brought back some good memories.

I also enjoyed watching other people make their sculptures. Many of the other participants created sculptures that were very good looking. Some of the other participants clearly had a plan coming into the session and brought additional supplies to help them create their masterpiece. Other participants, like me, had no preconceived ideas and experimented with the clay before deciding on what to build.

I thought the clay sculpting event was fun and relaxing. It also allowed me to be creative. There were no rules and the clay could be shaped into almost anything allowing my imagination to run free.

2 thoughts on “My Clay Sculpting Masterpiece

1. This looks like it was a fun, relaxing event. I remember playing with clay when I was little. One time I made a giant mosquito, which I think was kinda ugly, but it made it to the county fair back home!

2. When I saw that the event was clay sculpting, I was thinking like classical sculptures of people and vases, but your quest to build a tower looks like it turned out pretty good! I’ve been meaning to go to an interactive event at the Johnson for the past two years, but the timing has never been right. Everyone seems to have a good time creating things, even if they go into it hesitant.