Dr. Strangelove

Stanley Kubrik’s Dr. Strangelove was a weird movie. It was supposed to be a dark comedy about Cold War fears. The plot revolves around the circular threat of a Russian doomsday device that could be triggered by a U.S. bombing. The real danger in the movie is not the existence of bombs or nuclear weapons, but the incompetence of the decision-makers and idiocracy in power that may trigger them. In today’s world, every time we pick up a newspaper we are reminded of the random unpredictable human element that may result in the end of the world as we know it. Whether it is a threat of another World War or climate change, it is the decisions of the people in power as carried out by their bureaucracies that ultimately will determine the outcome. This fear is presented in the movie and it is what makes the movie relevant to today’s world. However, for me, this hits too close to reality and for this reason I found the film to be a scary exaggeration and not funny at all. I do not like to think about what could happen if those in charge are even more incompetent and in the dark than we may believe they are. Also, the whole production seemed dated, including the jokes. It was OK for a few hours, but I would never consider it a classic or one of my favorites. Some of it for me was boring, and the ending was unclear and dumb.