Sports’ Alternative Role

This past Rose Cafe series featured Mr. Paul Wilcox, the Honorary Secretary of the Achilles Club since 1987. He talked about the Transatlantic Series, a track and field series that took place and invited participants from various higher education institutions in both England and the United States. I found this talk interesting because I did track and field in middle school and for a season in high school, so I could personally relate to the role sports played in my life in bridging communication gaps within society and the community.

I especially enjoyed how Mr. Wilcox touched upon this communication power that sports has on different communities and cultures. The Olympics is a modern example of really bringing the world together through athletic talent; but more so, the Olympics shows a sign of sportsmanship and unity. Mr. Wilcox emphasized how the experience of traveling together as teammates and meeting counterparts from the other side of the world really broadens the mind. I can wholeheartedly agree with this statement.

Mr. Wilcox also discussed the history of different relays which I found interesting as I love learning about history, and having not known how far back track and field travels, it was cool to see how the sport has developed to further bring people from different cultures and organizations together.