Brazilian Dairy Markets and More!

Tonight’s Rose Café talk was led by a Brazilian professor who studies the Brazilian dairy market. However, the majority of the talk focused on Brazil’s geography, culture, and politics. I always enjoying hearing more about foreign countries especially from natives of the country. Like everyone else at the Café, I had never been to Brazil so I had a lot to learn. One of the things that surprised me was the vast array of different ecosystems present in Brazil. From the Amazon rainforest to the swampy wetlands and even dessert. Before the talk, I was only familiar with the beautiful beaches and dense Amazon rainforest.

It was also interesting to learn that Brazil has an advanced aerospace industry, but also large slums. I was familiar with Embraer because I have flown on their jets. A few years ago, I flew round trip from Syracuse to Regan National on an Embraer. It was much more pleasant then flying on those propeller planes that sometime service the Ithaca airport.

Someday I might want to visit Brazil. It seems like an interesting country with a multitude of different ecosystems to enjoy. After I typed that last sentence, I searched flight prices to Brazil and I discovered that I won’t be visiting anytime soon. If I had that type of money to spend on airfare, I would like to visit my relatives who live in Longyearbyen, Norway. This town is located on the Svalbard Island about 1,500 miles north of Oslo. Longyearbyen is known for its scenic views, Northern lights, and polar bears. Unfortunately, I better visit soon because the changing climate will likely have a large impact on Longyearbyen. Unfortunately, recent administrative action may increase the urgency of my travel.