Peace

I saw the CU Wind Symphony and Ithaca High School Wind Symphony perform last Sunday in Bailey Hall. The music was more beautiful than I imagined. As someone who had little to no exposure to live classical music, I think that this experience broadened my ideas of what classical music entails. Now, when I see the term “symphony,” I have an exact picture in my mind of what that looks like.

Many governmental officials debate taking money away from art and music programs to fund other academic subjects. However, this experience has taught me that these programs are vital to supplement traditional subjects in school. Many children receive necessary emotional support from their participation in programs like orchestra or wind symphonies. At the beginning of the Ithaca High School’s performance, the conductor dedicated the opening song to a girl who had just lost her mother. Having the support and ability to make music with others might be a vital  way to cope with such a heartbreaking and difficult loss. Cutting funds for programs like this would take away the benefits that they provide to many students.

On the other hand, such programs also provide a safe, alternative way to destress and unwind from a demanding academic schedule. When the composer spoke to the audience about his inspiration for the collection of songs that were being played, he mentioned the idea of peace as a strong influence. His imagery of water enveloping the earth really helped me to place my mind in a peaceful state as I listened to the songs. I also thought about ways to keep peace on earth and in my life.

I am so glad I took the time to attend the Wind symphony. I feel as if I have grown from the experience. I definitely recommend it to anyone!