Expressions of a Dog

Today, I had the wonderful experience of creating art at a workshop hosted by Nicholas Carbonara. My original thought of what this workshop would be was Nicholas drawing something live while we, as the students, would copy and interpret onto our own canvas. However, this experience was so different.

Nicholas allowed us to draw or write whatever we liked in a period of time with a few models in the center of the room and music playing in the background. It was very interesting how the different models changed poses and the movements they created to inspire. They danced along to the music, played with the dogs (two of the most adorable models), or just relaxed. Personally, I spent the time drawing using markers. My art was based on lines and circles. After I felt it was complete, I played with his dogs and even held one.

At our discussion at the end of the session, he really pressed upon the notion of using this as a relaxation technique. Spend a bit of time everyday to reflect and enjoy your memories rather than try to capture them on your camera. Take 10 minutes everyday to just relax and draw a bit on whatever you feel inspired about. That was a great message to end off the workshop. Thanks!

2 thoughts on “Expressions of a Dog

1. This sounds like it was a very interesting and fun event! While I am not personally very artistic, I have heard many things about the benefits that art can have, especially for stress relief. I think that using art to reflect on daily life is also a really interesting concept.

2. I attended this event as well, and his takeaway message of utilizing different art mediums as relaxation techniques left a lasting impression on me as well. I’m glad we were both able to have a worthwhile experience!