Your life is meaningless

Last Wednesday Dr.Hill invited us to the rose apartment to discuss “life”. I wasn’t sure what to expect from this talk. I walked in, put my bag on the ground, grabbed a soft cookie, and opened my ears. Dr.Hill proceeded by describing a close encounter with death he had a few days prior. He sat up in his chair, adjusted his heart monitor, and urged us to reflect on what is important in our lives. After much thought, I have begun to condense my ideas about the meaning if life.

The human desire to fulfill some sort of existential purpose has been present in all of history. Religion, politics, and art have all sought to guide the collective pursuit for meaning. However, by simple observation it seems that the events of the world are quite random, and daily life is quite banal. It is devastating to think that we were not created for some purpose. But why be upset about the inevitable uncertainty of our existence when there is so much to enjoy in life? I believe that once we accept the randomness and uncertainty of everyday life, the only option left is to enjoy that which lies right in front of us.

Friends, family and doing what we enjoy are far more important than fulfilling some sort of arbitrary meaning. When I think about what makes my life worth living, I think of my friends, my family, and the experiences I’ve had with them. Most of these experiences are normal: watching TV, eating too much, talking about our days. That said, these experiences I would not trade for anything. I would rather sit on my living room floor in a world of uncertainty and share Chinese takeout with my best friend than discover an all-encompassing meaning of life and pursue it alone.

One thought on “Your life is meaningless

1. I totally agree that it is dangerous to spending your life searching for some universal or inherent meaning because you miss out on, well, life! But I guess for me the difference is I find and create meaning in those little, uncertain, random bits that you mentioned. I also don’t love the phrase “the meaning of life” because it sounds too big, but I suppose that’s what I find in relationships with family and friends and living day to day. I try not to get too caught up with the semantics of it all. Anyway, it was really cool to hear your perspective!