The Fight Club

The movie Fight Club left me with a lot of confusion and mixed feelings. Dr. Hill’s explanation about the significance of the year 1999, which is the year the film was released shed some light on the ultimate point of the film. It was critiquing the anonymity of young professionals at the time. The nameless main character seemed to be yearning for an outlet, a way to display his dissatisfaction with his life. He did so by creating a “fight club,” in which he used violence to express himself. While violence is never the answer, Dr. Hill explained to us that the point was not for the audience to focus on the extremely violent, disgusting, and vulgar scenes, but to understand the anti-consumerism message of the film. However, I feel as if whatever broad world-view the writers and producers meant to convey to the audience was lost in the distasteful vulgarities displayed in the story.

Another aspect of the film that I found disturbing was that the film’s main character had no family or actual, proper friends. His divorced parents seemed to have really impacted his life in that he had trouble building normal, real relationships with normal people. He even had a difficult relationship with himself. He seemed to not really know who he was or who he wanted to be in most of the scenes. He also went to support groups in the beginning because he was emotionally unwell. I think that the support groups did not really help him with his problems, since he eventually spiraled out of control. In fact, I think what he needed was faith. He needed to believe in a positive power bigger than himself. It would have helped dispel his loneliness and given him better ways to improve his life and his dissatisfaction with consumerism. He needed to believe in a higher power instead of his material possessions.

In conclusion, I am not really sure what the point of the movie was, but I think that it would have been better without the extraneous violent and vulgar scenes. I definitely did not like the movie overall. However, I think that seeing Tyler’s many issues demonstrate the flaws in his dangerous lifestyle, and the fact that he had not faith in anyone other that himself.