Quantity vs Quality?

Quantity vs Quality?

I am not a big user of Bing, but accidentally stumbled upon and searched on it several times. I remember one time I was trying to search for restaurants to visit in Tokyo with my friends and accidentally went on Bing, while my friend searched it on Google. It was a little surprising to us that the rankings of the results for us were quite different although we were searching from the same place. Why is that?

Google

Bing

In class, we demonstrated how PageRank works. We found that the page will be ranked higher if it’s linked or in other words, endorsed by more pages. In a nutshell, both Bing and Google operate based on this system. The article discusses why Google and Bing show different results. While Bing ranks pages based on the quantity of endorsements, while Google focuses on the quality. This means that while the quantity of links can be a marker of how trustworthy the site is, it might not the most important factor in it comes to relevancy. For example, page A might be endorsed by 20 less relevant pages, while page B is endorsed by 15 pages you care more about. With other data that can be used to better determine the relevancy for you, does it not make more sense that page B should be ranked higher for you?

This reflects the significance of designing algorithms to accommodate the need for a more curated content in today’s complex World Wide Web and the overwhelming amount of content online. 

Source: https://www.searchenginejournal.com/build-links-bing-vs-google/215581/