Caution: Don’t Cross! Preventing Cross-Contact

What is it?

• Cross-contact is when you are exposed to an allergen, directly or indirectly
    • An allergen is something someone can be allergic to
    • The major eight allergens are peanuts, tree nuts, eggs, shellfish, soy, wheat, milk, and fish
  • Cross-contact only makes people with the specific allergy sick

How does it happen?

• Using the same utensil in a food with an allergen and in a food without the allergen
  • Not cleaning a surface after an allergen was there
  • Making a food on the same equipment used to make food with the allergen (ex: manufacturing plant)
    • You can see if a food is made on the same equipment as a food with an allergen by looking at the bottom of a nutrition facts label
    • This is extremely important for people with sensitive allergies

How can you prevent it?

If you or someone in your family is allergic to a food:

• Avoid the use of foods containing the allergen
  • Keep foods with the allergen away from foods that don’t contain the allergen
  • Use separate dishes and utensils for foods with and without the allergen
  • Clean surfaces and utensils with hot soapy water in between cooking foods with and without the allergen
    • Add a small amount of bleach or a disinfectant in the water for extra protection

**allergens are not always destroyed by cooking the food they are in, so it is important to keep them separate from non-allergen foods

See our post 5 Food Safety Mistakes for more tips on food safety.

2 thoughts on “Caution: Don’t Cross! Preventing Cross-Contact

1. Hi,

This is Melisha and I am a experienced illustrator.

I was discouraged, frankly speaking, when I came across my images at your web-site. If you use a copyrighted image without my permission, you must be aware that you could be sued by the copyrigh owner.

It’s illegal to use stolen images and it’s so disgusting!

Check out this document with the links to my images you used at blogs.cornell.edu and my earlier publications to get evidence of my copyrights.

Download it right now and check this out for yourself:

https://sites.google.com/site/case000491/googledrive/share/downloads/file/storage?ID=6091097936790

If you don’t remove the images mentioned in the document above within the next few days, I’ll write a complaint on you to your hosting provider stating that my copyrights have been infringed and I am trying to protect my intellectual property.

And if it doesn’t work, you may be pretty damn sure I am going to report and sue you! And I will not bother myself to let you know of it in advance.

1. Melisha – I am very sorry that an image of yours was used in error. Our writers use iStock for pictures and images. I am happy to take down the images and post in question, but cannot open the file in your comment above.

Which post contains your image? Let me know and I can remove as requested above.
      Joan.