My Dog is My Home Aims to Keep People and Pets Together Under One Roof

Homelessness is unfortunately common: for example, over half a million people experienced homelessness at least one night in January 2022, the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD) reports. Numbers may rise as the weather gets warmer. As difficult as it is for people to secure shelter for themselves, the level of difficulty increases when animals become involved.

My Dog Is My Home is “a national nonprofit dedicated to expanding access to shelter for individuals experiencing homelessness and their companion animals.” They work to assist homeless shelters and other service providers help humans and their animals stay together.

Other organizations provide wellness and veterinary services targeting animals belonging to those experiencing homelessness, which may be required for service providers that allow co-sheltering. Right here in Tompkins County, the Ithaca chapter of Street Dog Coalition (SDC), has served 189 patients this past year, by holding free monthly clinics to offer medical care such as basic vaccine administration, parasite screening and caring for senior pets whose owners may be in need of shelter or are at risk of experiencing homelessness.

The human-animal bond is an important one. Life can be hard and present challenges but no one should have to choose between a roof over their head or keeping their companion by their side. Watch the story of Brigitte and Nubeian and many others here. 

If you are interested in learning more about how to help people experiencing homelessness and their animals stay together, register for My Dog is My Home’s 2023 Co-Sheltering Conference taking place virtually, March 21-23, 2023.

WHO SHOULD ATTEND?
The foundation of co-sheltering is inclusivity. This conference invites any and all, including those involved in social services, homeless services, and animal welfare; curious members of the public; students in the fields of veterinary medicine, social work, public administration, and more!

My Dog is My Home's Co-Sheltering Conference 2023
My Dog is My Home’s Co-Sheltering Conference 2023

The conference speakers include:

Ann Oliva (CEO of the National Alliance to End Homelessness) | Nathaniel Fields (CEO of Urban Resource Institute) | Haben Girma (Disability Rights Lawyer & President Obama White House Champion of Change) | Heidi Marston (PetSmart Charities) | Dr. Jill Pable (Design Resources for Homelessness) | Dr. Rebecca Stuntebeck (UC Davis Koret Shelter Medicine Program | Marilou Chanrasmi (CARE) | Kerry Morrison (Heart Forward LA) | Dr. Janet Hoy Gerlach (University of Toledo) | Congressman Jason Crow (US House of Representatives, CO-06)…and more!

Let us know if you attend and how you liked it!

print