Where is Dr. Anna Young, Janet L. Swanson Intern of Shelter Medicine Headed Next!?

Dr. Anna Young, 2023/2024 Janet L. Swanson Intern of Shelter Medicine

Congratulations are in order for our 2023/2024 Janet L. Swanson Intern of Shelter Medicine, who has just accepted a full-time position as a veterinarian at Lollypop Farm in Rochester, NY, to start in August 2024.  Dr. Anna Young (CU CVM ’23) a native of Rochester, is excited to be returning to the city she grew up in and establishing professional and personal roots.

Young said, “Lollypop is a really impressive facility, serving thousands of dogs and cats every year, as well as large animals and exotics. The most exciting part for me, though, is Lollypop’s plans to get involved with community medicine. I’m looking forward to becoming involved with serving pets and pet owners in the Rochester area and giving back to the community I grew up in!”

Dr. Anna Young performing surgery.
Dr. Anna Young performing surgery

When asked how Maddie’s® Shelter Medicine Program has helped Young grow as a clinician, Young stated that the internship experience has helped grow her confidence tremendously.

“This internship is unique in the many varied experiences I’ve been able to have – from rotating through different services at Cornell University Hospital for Animals, such as Exotics and Clinical Pathology, to traveling out west to participate in high-quality, high-volume spay and neuter clinics.  I have been able to have many different experiences this year.”

A patient of Dr. Young's.
One of Dr. Young’s patients

Memorable highlights included traveling for on-site consultations to Chenango SPCA and Rochester Animal Services, where Young was able to provide recommendations for improving shelter operations for both the staff and animals served. Young also appreciated her confidence soaring when she was on-call and “running the show” at the SPCA of Tompkins County, where she was responsible for making emergency treatment decisions that ultimately left her patients happy and healthy.

The MSMP team is proud of Dr. Young’s accomplishments and looks forward to seeing her achieve great success in her future career.

I am passionate about community medicine and delivering the pet care that communities are telling us they need. I would love to stay in the Rochester/Upstate NY area to keep giving back to the communities that made me the veterinarian I am today!”

print