Gattaca: There’s no gene for fate

I remember watching this movie at a summer program when I was in high school, so I was very excited when I saw this movie again at a Rose event. I generally don’t like sci-fi movies, but this was one of my favorites for a long time. As cheesy as this sounds, the movie sets a very positive message to its viewers and inspired me to work hard for my dreams. In the movie, the main character was born with a birth defect that prevented him from doing space travel. However, his determination and perseverance did not stop him from achieving what he wants. He went through incredible lengths, such as taking someone else’s identity to help him make it past security. This shows that a person’s condition at birth or the resources they’re born with do not necessarily dictate the future. Everything depends on a person’s drive and how much they’re willing to sacrifice in the process.

My favorite quote in the movie:

You want to know how I did it? This is how I did it, Anton: I never saved anything for the swim back.”

-Vincent, Gattaca

Besides the movie’s positive message, it also made me think of the ethical use of eugenics. I know many people have debated over the idea of creating “perfect humans” by manipulating genes, but I thought it was interesting how an old film like this can connect to an issue people are facing in the present. It really brings into question the ethical and moral facets of enhancing genes for “beneficial” purposes.

One thought on “Gattaca: There’s no gene for fate

1. This was my first time seeing the movie and while I do agree that it was sending a positive vibe to encourage people not to let society be limitations towards what we can achieve, I couldn’t help but feel bad for Jerome Morrow, who held the identity of the individual with “superior genes”. It was particularly saddening to see himself commit suicide after Vincent achieved his dream.

Like you said, it does a good job at showing people that no matter the circumstances, even if you were born with advantages in society, what you achieve in life is what you make of it.