John Nash: the late genius

When I heard that John Nash, the mathematical, economic, schizophrenic genius that became a new father of modern economics, had died in a car crash on the New Jersey Turnpike almost exactly two years ago, I was heartbroken. But it invited me to look into his life through research and not simply a film.

This week was not the first time I’d seen the movie. I’ve watched it countless times for its direction, its gorgeous soundtrack, and its heartwarming (while largely Hollywood-fabricated) story. I’m personally a fan of 1950s vibes, so A Beautiful Mind hits the spot.

But indeed, did you know the movie greatly exaggerates and leaves out a lot of details about his life? You may remember the illusions of William Parcher, the prodigal roommate, and niece. Those were never real. In fact, Nash never even saw the people in his head; they were all visual. In addition, in the film, John and Alicia lived happily ever after as a married couple. In reality, he divorced Alicia in 1957. They continued to live together, but legally separated, for about half a century before remarrying in 2001.

This does not mean the movie is entirely dishonest or distasteful. If the characters of John’s imagination were only audio, the entire film would have been much less interesting. But it should encourage viewers to look for the truth themselves, since Hollywood is not known for accuracy.

3 thoughts on “John Nash: the late genius

1. I was surprised to learn that Mr. Nash died in a car crash in 2015. I can’t even begin to count how many times I’ve ridden/drove on the NJ Turnpike and the fact that he died in the state I call home was even more surprising. I understand why Hollywood made certain changes/took certain liberties with Nash’s story, but I also was concerned with certain aspects. Namely, the film’s depiction of Nash overcoming schizophrenia without the use of medication. I do not doubt that it is possible, but it would be potentially dangerous to assume that this is possible for everyone.

2. I watched the movie after he died. I didn’t realize that it was only two years ago. After learning about the Nash equilibrium at Cornell, I think I should rewatch it to pick up anything from the movie that I might have missed the first time.

3. Just like you, I’ve watch this movie several times and am a huge fan. However, I’m less forgiving of the film’s “alternative” set of events. Nash was bad in some ways, but that doesn’t mean his accomplishments in math and overcoming schizophrenia are any less amazing or notable. By striking these personal affairs from the record, you effectively forgive them. You inadvertently send a message that as long as you are great at one thing, history will forget your flaws. I love Nash for his contributions to mathematics and I admire him conquering schizophrenia, but I don’t think the movie should gloss over the fact that he was a human with flaws.