Snappy Casual.

As a business major, we start the first day of school with learning what business professional, business casual, smart casual, and casual are. Every region of the country and even the world perceive it to be very different clothing. Although going into this workshop I didn’t think I would be learning new information, more so a refresher, this Rose event was probably my favorite.

Ty, the GRF leading this along with two SAs Liz and Ben, taught us how to neck tie AND a bow tie. The most ironic of this workshop was that most of the audience in attendance were women with only one man. Even though I would most likely never need to wear one in a professional setting, it was so much fun to learn. We learned how to tie a full windsor knot on the neck tie. It’s the classic full triangle knot and probably my favorite. Towards the end of the workshop, I was able to tie it pretty well!

The bow tie was definitely much more tricky. Not only is it shorter, there are a bunch of loops to be formed and all tightly against your neck. It can’t be scooted up like the neck tie. The trickiest part for me was the last step of pulling the second loop for form the bow tie. In the end, I finally got it and bragged about knowing how to tie a bow tie for the rest of the week.

I think the bow tie matches perfectly with my outfit. What do you think?

One thought on “Snappy Casual.

1. This event sounds like it was a lot of fun! As a plant science major, none of our classes have really touched on or even mentioned the topic of business etiquette, which I think should definitely be incorporated more as it is such an important tool to know help any student post-Cornell. It’s neat that you as a business major were able to learn something you hadn’t known before from this event, I wish I could have attended!