A Bang for Your Buck: The Unexpected Affordability of Farmer’s Markets

As a college student, my life consists of studying, sleeping, and eating. In the few moments I have to spare, I choose to relax and rewind with a TV show, a movie, or even just a nap. Because of my busy schedule, in the nearly nine whole months I have been at Cornell, I have very rarely ventured off campus to experience the local lifestyle and culture of Ithaca. This on-campus isolation has been a regret of mine that I have been wanting to change for a while. This past Saturday, the Ithaca Farmer’s Market finally offered me the opportunity to connect with and explore my surrounding community.

From fragrant flowers and raw honey to handcrafted scones and freshly squeezed juices, the Farmer’s Market showcased the talents, hard work, and passions of local merchants, artisans, and farmers. It is undeniable that locally-produced, fresh food is of a higher quality than supermarket goods. Therefore, you’d expect that farmer’s market goods are more expensive than grocery store merchandise, right? I did, and, in fact, I panicked because I arrived at the Farmer’s Market with only $15 in my pocket…

However, interestingly enough, I left the Farmer’s Market with a full $7 remaining in my wallet. My purchases, consisting of a raspberry almond scone, a cup of natural strawberry lemonade, freshly-fried apple cider donuts, and a burrito, cost me just $8. Shocked at this low cost, I did some researching upon returning to my dorm and discovered that, according to a study, farmer’s market produce is about the same price as supermarket produce. Additionally, organic items actually cost less at local markets than they do at grocery stores (Read more: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/forrest-pritchard/first-time-shopping-at-farmers-market_b_5519524.html).

These unexpected results need to be more heavily advertised to encourage more folks to support their local farmers, get involved in the community, and partake in higher quality, fresher food.

6 thoughts on “A Bang for Your Buck: The Unexpected Affordability of Farmer’s Markets

1. I’m pleasantly surprised at everything you were able to purchase at the Farmer’s Market with such little cash! I’ve always had that misconception that Farmer’s Markets are going to be super bougie and expensive, so I’ve never made an effort to visit Ithaca’s for the sake of my wallet. After reading this post, however, I will definitely be putting that trip on my list. Thanks for the insight!

2. The farmer’s market is the part of Ithaca that I love the most! I hope that the prevalence of farmers markets over the past few years indicates a gradual shift away from massive shopping centers and the promotion of a lifestyle that eschews a consumerist lifestyle in favor of one that emphasizes connection with the products of the local community.

3. I lovd the farmers market but am very surprised to hear that you thought it was low cost! Perhaps I am going to the wrong vendors, but I always end up spending 50$ or so! Usually you end up spending around 10$ at every stall. For example, a block of cheese at a cheese stall would be around 10$, a few apple cider donuts and a gallon of apple cider from the apple store would be at least 10$, and a jar of delicious pesto from the pesto stall is also around 7-8$. I either am going to the wrong vendors, or need to be more careful with how I spend! Either way, I am glad you had a good and AFFORDABLE time at the farmers market!

4. I am planning to go to the farmers market this weekend, and I thought that it would be quite pricey. This is delightful to hear, and it sounds like a really great time. I always like to try new and local foods, and I think the farmers market will provide a great opportunity to do so.

5. Attended the farmers market today, can definitely say it was a worthwhile experience. Got some really great sushi and ate it on the dock on Cayuga Lake. Can’t think of a better lunch spot.

6. I found your article to be interesting. I personally usually arrive at the markets like you, with about $20.00-$15.00. However, perhaps it is due to my large appetite but I always seem to not be satisfied with my hunger afterwards. A main course (pizza, burrito, noodles) usually cost 8-10 dollars I feel.
    However, I do find it interesting that if bought locally, foods can be cheaper than regular grocery stores. I guess it still depends on convenience and education.