Making Light of Situations

The feeling I got from “Dr. Strangelove” was similar to the one i got the first time I saw the episode of Spongebob Squarepants where Spongebob tries to explain to Plankton what fun is.  He creates a song based on the following acronym: F is friends who do stuff together, U is for you and me, N is for anywhere and anytime at all down here in the deep blue sea.  Plankton, feeling like he grasped the concept,  then tries to come up with his own version: F is for fire that burns down the whole town, U is for uranium bombs,
N is for no survivors when you… at which point Spongebob abruptly cuts him off.

Dr. Strangelove, from its first scene of two bombers harmoniously transferring gas, to its ending of peaceful music playing over a symphony of nuclear bomb explosions, is kind of like Plankton’s verse.  What I found particularly cool about Dr. Strangelove is its subject matter given when it was made.  There would have been much more tension related to nuclear bombs in the 1960’s than now.  Making a movie parodying a huge component of that tension, mutually assured destruction, seemed like a pretty gutsy thing to do.  I liked the different types of humor involved.  A lot of it seemed more on the subtle side, rooted in conversations that I would have found boring as a kid, but can appreciate a little better now.  There were many scenes that involved little more than conversation, usually between two people at a time.  However, there is still the iconic scene of  Major T. J. “King” Kong riding his bomb into the earth like a bull in a rodeo.  Of course there is the more serious issue of what to do regarding the building of nuclear weapons and I am no expert, but after watching a montage of what a chain of nuclear explosions would be like, it’s safe too say there are probably already too many nuclear bombs today.