Healing and Movies

I am currently taking an anthropology classes on healing traditions in South Asia and this documentary on Tai Chi kind of reinforced the idea that certain practices or traditions can have certain healing effects not only because of the actual movement associated, but there is a psychological component too. Tai Chi is practiced for its health benefits and it was creating as a fighting art which is interesting.  It’s known to channel the chi through the slow movements and focusing on clearing the mind. Many compare Tai Chi to yoga but yoga is more focused breathing and the physical element of meditation. I may be wrong.  But the Professor was an interesting character himself. He not only introduced several forms of healing but he created bond between his students who were very different from one another. I can’t believe he gave his students prescriptions to a Chinese apothecary. However through his Tai-Chi teaching, he not only contributed to spiritual healing of an individual but also somehow healed society. He provided a feeling of fraternity in a group of diverse individuals. I was kind of amazed in how he also taught calligraphy. I never thought of calligraphy as meditative but this documentary that it can be. Then again, I’m sort of a perfectionist when it comes to writing and I can (and sometimes will) rewrite notes until something was visually pleasing. In addition, I was kind of interested of how the Professor’s teachings affected not only the students who were interviewed in the documentary but others as well. Through a little research, I found that Maggie Newman and Ed Young are still teaching Tai Chi. Ed Young is actually also known for mastering Chinese medicine which was very interesting and he’s also well known for Chinese poetry, calligraphy, and painting. I found it fascinating that Ed Young came to the U.S. to study architecture and he slowly transitioned into an artist. I don’t know. I found this documentary extremely interesting but I also like documentaries. However, one thing that came from watching the Professor and his tactics was that I finally found something that I wanted to write about for my anthropology paper.

One thought on “Healing and Movies

1. I really like your post which suggests that Tai Chi is not only about physical healing but also bringing a diverse group of people together. Since the documentary took place in the late 1960s, when there was lots of divide within the country and across the world; what the Professor did with Tai Chi really set up an example for other to promote cultural integration.