Letter to Julia 4/24/17

Dear Julia,

I liked this event; I like to offer constructive criticism. Geoffrey Burt Hill and I had a brief, but pleasant conversation about headphones (He agrees that those Thurston Moore designed over the ear headphones look kind of dumb. It’s okay though, I still love Sonic Youth.) and Kendrick Lamar’s new album DAMN. (To Pimp a Butterfly is still Kendrick’s best, IMO, but it’s definitely as good as Good Kid M.a.a.d City, but I digress) before the event began so I was in a pretty good mood going in. We all talked for a while about the housing system, West campus, and the challenges of building a residence house with a personality and character that’s distinct. Apart from the suggestions that I made within the event, I also think Rose could do a better job with sign ups. It’s very frustrating when you sign up for an event, there’s no space, and then a day after the event you get an email saying there’s an empty space for you. (That’s happened to me more than once…) Beyond the Rose Scholar Program I think my biggest gripe with Rose House is that there is not an oven or stove in the second floor kitchen in Rose Main. It’s very inconvenient to have to go all the way down to the pantry on the ground floor anytime I want to cook something–especially when the pantry is locked because of vandalism.

Love,

Robert

2 thoughts on “Letter to Julia 4/24/17

1. I also have an issue with the sign-up system, as it feels a bit clunky. I think it’d be nice to have a live list of who has signed up so far, with an indicated cutoff and the wait-list below it (I think this is possible with the Google Surveys/Sheets that’s being used now).

Having a stove/oven on the second floor would be great. I had to use the kitchen in Founders Hall to make coffee when ours was closed, so that was a slight inconvenience.

Wow, Rob~ we seem to agree on a couple things. Maybe we might even share political opinions.

2. yes, i think we agree that the proletariat should seize the means of production from the bourgeoisie.