Cascadilla Gorge: Behind the Scenes

Last Saturday, I attended the hike through Cascadilla Gorge. I had already been a couple times but as this was a guided tour given by Cornell’s Botanic Gardens Director of Natural Areas and Flora Rose House Fellow Todd Bittner, I learned so much about this gorge that I had never known. It was so fascinating to hear about the geographical history of the Cascadilla Gorge, about its formation and the changes that occurred due to plate tectonics, climate shifts, and water erosion. We also learned about the relatively recent history of the Gorge, the donation to Cornell in the early 1900s and the renovations to the trail in the past ten years. One thing that really stuck out to me was the fragility of the gorge. It doesn’t appear so but changes in weather like floods or droughts frequently necessitated costly repairs and renovations. I really have a new appreciation for all the aspects that must be taken into account when building the trail: safety, cost, durability, aesthetic, etc.
I also realised how fortunate we are to be attending a school so closely integrated with nature. Cascadilla Gorge is a mere ten minutes walk from Rose House and such a beautiful and peaceful place. It’s truly a great way to de-stress from schoolwork and enjoy nature.

4 thoughts on “Cascadilla Gorge: Behind the Scenes

1. I pass the gorge almost every day and I enjoy the rush of the water. i agree that we are fortunate, indeed, to go to a school that is surrounded by such natural beauty. I never thought about the formation or history of the gorge, or how much it costs to maintain. As a result of your post, I will be investigating these aspects of it. Thanks for adding to my wonderment of Cascadilla Gorge!

2. Great picture! It looks like the gorge was really flowing then. I’m surprised to hear that the gorge was donated to Cornell in the early 1900s.

3. I went on this hike too! i thought it was so odd how something that seems so old and embedded in the bones of the earth could be so fragile. Then again, water is a very destructive force. So interesting to understand the paradoxical relationship between water having created the gorges, while also slowly eroding them.

4. I love the photo you took on the fall! To be honest, I was hesitant to explore the gorge because of how strenuous the hiking is. However, now that I see the picture, I definitely want to explore while I can! haha. I am surprised by the idea of fragility in the gorge. The Gorge is such a big part of Cornell camps and acts almost as if they are supporting the school ground from beneath.