Art in Space and Time

Pt. I:

Last Saturday I arrived at the Johnson Museum after volunteering at the Museum of the Earth, and I noticed a completely different environment from where I had spent explaining dinosaur egg diagrams to kids. I have always been big on museums, and these two museums were no exception. I glimpsed “Cosmos,” the LED outdoor ceiling display created in homage to Cornellian astrophysicist Carl Sagan. Comparing this experience side by side to seeing the fossilized creatures on display at the Museum of the Earth, I noted the vastness of the universe across both space and time, and I felt dwarfed by magnificence. We as human beings play such a small role in the grand scheme of things–a both terrifying and comforting thought.

Pt II:

Afterward, we went back to Rose House and created our own art using oil pastels. I loved art in middle school, and my parents would send me to art camp as a child, but being a STEM major, I hadn’t touched oil pastels in years. I found it relaxing to sit for an hour in silence and draw as we pleased. I would definitely love to do more art-based activities in the future, maybe even take a few classes eventually.