Pre-(Country of Choice)

To be quite honest, I’ve never been interested in art history. But on Thursday evening, I found learning about art is far more interesting and deep than I imagined. Art is not just history of the piece. It’s also history of the culture. For example, we learned about a lot of ancient culture. (I call it Pre- culture since everything was labeled like that for identification.) In Pre-Columbian culture, vessels were very popular and even in different time periods and cultures you can tell the strong similarities and added traditions.

One interesting cultural fact I learned is about the Pre-Columbian culture. They had to special animals: birds and cats. These animals were thought to be able to transcend. Birds can fly up into the sky and cats can climb trees all the way up. As an avid lover of cats, it caught my attention immediately.

When we started working with the clay, I immediately decided to create a teapot. It was definitely a far bigger challenge than I imagined. But also so much fun. Unfortunately it is not food safe so will not be a functional teapot but a cute one nonetheless! Thanks so much for the workshop. Definitely one of the best events I’ve attended.