Dr. Strangelove: a Cold War What-If

If the United States accidentally launched nuclear strikes against the Russians, what would happen? That’s the question that Dr. Strangelove tries to answer, in the most dark-humorous way possible. As with all movies, I try to find a meaning or message behind what I am watching. While it seems silly and comical, Dr. Strangelove satirically depicts sentiments felt in the United States during the 20th century.

How did I feel about it? It was certainly funny, from the British fellow to the president to Dr. Strangelove (all played by the same actor by the way!). The crazy airbase general and the Texan air captain were equally as superb. I believe you can classify this movie as comically absurdist, a satire about fears of nuclear disruption.

Personally, I found it pretty cathartic. It’s as if all of humanity’s mistakes had culminated into this one point in time where the entire world is decimated. All of the doomsday fiction had come true and everyone went back to the stone age. Take a look at the abnormally long title of the movie itself: Dr. Strangelove or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb. What does it mean to love the bomb? At some point, if the world comes to an end, perhaps we’d also end up thinking of the optimal male-to-female ratio in underground colonies during a nuclear winter.