Perfecting a Musical

I attended the Cornell Cinema screening of the well-known Oscar nominee, La La Land. This film was fantastic and followed the lives of two individuals, Mia (played by Emma Stone) and Sebastian (played by Ryan Gosling), who were trying to become a household name in show business. It examined the challenges these individuals faced in their personal and professional lives they faced together and separately. Though this film was fiction, it successfully portrayed many of the challenges normal, everyday individuals face in relationships and in their jobs, while trying to improve themselves. It did a great job of depicting real-life challenges, allow the audience the chance to connect with the on-screen personalities. Unfortunately, this film did not win the best picture Oscar, though Emma Stone, who played Mia, won best actress for this film. I feel that if you have not had a chance to view this wonderful film, that you definitely should watch it the first chance you get. Throughout the movie, it was interesting to see how the directors incorporated Stone and Gosling’s musical scenes, as they do not strike me as the type of actors that would play characters in a musical. Overall, they did a fantastic job.

3 thoughts on “Perfecting a Musical

1. I also thought this film would win best picture! I like that it dealt with real-life problems. I will definitely try to see it in the future!

2. La La Land is a beautifully shot, acted, and directed movie. Till this day I still listen to the soundtrack when walking to class or doing homework. Justin Hurwitz and Damien Chazelle truly are masterminds for coming up with a movie with so many catchy songs that faithfully recreates the wonder and joy of musical movies like “The Sound of Music” and “Grease”. I can’t wait to see what the duo does next!

3. I also would have never expected such a odd pairing of actors for a musical to work out so well artistically! Although, I think like many odd elements in the film, La La Land is like a perfect combination of “in-your-face” oddness and vibrancy that makes everything work out so well in agreement with one other that is almost all seems way too unreal to be real–something that usually drives audiences away, but in this case successfully pulled many more into the fascination of the movie.