Logistics of Rose

At this week’s rose cafe we spoke with Doctor Hill and discussed the logistics of Rose House living, and what could be done to create a more distinct identity among houses. One of the people in the cafe brought up a point that because selection into these houses is largely based on convenience rather than a common interest, this is largely impossible to facilitate. The common interest at the moment, at least among rose scholars, is simply the desire for a bed on campus for next year. Furthermore, I feel that as sophomores at Cornell, we have already established who our close friends throughout college will likely continue to be, and trying to force friendships will be counter intuitive.

I find it really funny that trying to make people more proud to be in the housing group that we live in through physical competition was unsuccessful. Personally, I think that this again has to do with the fact that people only live here for convenience. Further, because Cornell is so academically oriented, people spend their free time mostly studying. I personally would not be that interested in a competition like that, as I am busy doing homework, and I cannot imagine that I am alone.

Another thing that we talked about was having more consistent events. I would really love this. At the moment, I can only make the rose cafe, however it is extremely stressful as most of my assignments are due on Thursday morning. Therefore, I have to go to Rose Cafe, write up a blog post, and then stress as I have lost some time to do a problem set due the next day. Therefore, more consistent events throughout the week would really improve future scholars’ experience.