The Transatlantic Series is for NARPs too

Last Wednesday my fellow Rose Scholars and I were lucky enough to learn about an event that is close to Dr Hill, the Transatlantic Series. Paul Willcox, the president of the organization, gave us a presentation that displayed both the history and the importance of this event. It was emphasized how much the series can help broaden the track and field team’s world view while also strengthening their relationships and building ties with friends overseas. This even goes as far as affecting some of the travelers’ career paths, as Willcox mentioned one athlete who visited the US during the Great Depression and went on to become a global economist as a result.

I can only imagine the life changing experiences that these travelers have. I was fortunate enough to meet some of the captains before they had a dinner Thursday night. In the brief period I spent talking to them, I was able to learn a bit about the education differences in the UK, as well as their experiences in the US. I found it incredibly amusing hearing about what their take on Cornell was, specifically their take on drinking and American parties was great to hear.

I wish that I had been able to speak with them longer, as our conversations were cut short by their meal and my prelim. I was able to take so much out of 15 minutes talking to 3 of the athletes, I can only imagine what spending a few days with them would do. Hopefully, in the future Dr. Hill and Mr. Willcox will recognize that these travels are not only an opportunity for the athletes to broaden their world view, but they also pose opportunities for us NARPs (non-athletic regular people) to as well.

One thought on “The Transatlantic Series is for NARPs too

1. I definitely agree with you Monica, I think events like this are great opportunities to get first hand exposure into different cultures. I’m so glad that the learning process was simultaneous where you got to learn from them and they also had the opportunity to learn form you.