Political Satire and Black Comedy

This week’s Flora’s film was the 1964 movie Dr. Strangelove. Before watching it, I read some of the reviews and learned that it had nearly universal critical acclaim. Some even describe it as one of the best comedies of all time. I had really high expectations going into it, and I have to say that I really enjoyed the movie. It was simultaneously absurd and tragic, satirical and concerning. The basic premise is that a mentally deranged general oversteps his authority and orders the dropping of a nuclear bomb on Russia. The president and top politicians and generals try desperately to stop it and save humanity but of course nuclear warfare ends with only one outcome and that is complete destruction. Even though this movie was made in 1964, it seems like the world today is once again on the brink of nuclear war, between North Korea, Russia, China, and the United States.
It is really interesting to note how comedy and satire often make a distressing situation somehow seem more bearable. I personally don’t think I would have mentally survived the last election season if it weren’t for late night TV and internet memes. Even though comedy is silly and light-hearted, I think it’s a truly necessary part of society.