Thinking Twice Before Clicking Share: Fake News and Critical Skepticism

In a time in which the country is increasingly divided and the proliferation of fake news continues to widen the chasm of misunderstanding, getting together to talk about how to think more critically about what we come across in the media and how to expose ourselves to diverse perspectives is so necessary. The Table Talk this Monday made me more concerned about the potential consequences of fake news, yet our conversation also made me hopeful that if people recognized the consequences of fake news, they would be motivated to consider the credibility of news and double-check sources before accepting it and giving it power. What added to my concern was the realization that with individuals’ constant access to news outlets and the ease with which it can be shared, the damage of of fake news can be done in just seconds. Often, because fake news is enticingly outlandish, it spreads quickly, and even if its later proved false, the correction of fake news might not reach the expansive audience that the more exciting or concerning, albeit false, story did. Thus, people may never even realize it is false. This inaccurate news story can then shape individuals’ opinions and perspectives, fueling the division that prevents conversation, respect, and understanding between those with different views. The fact that people like to stay within their bubbles, as Magdala pointed out, further decreases the likelihood that individuals find out that fake news is in fact false. One of the major ways that media outlets inexplicitly slant the narratives they construct is in what they choose, and do not choose, to report. A particular news outlet or public figure might pass along a fake piece of news that aligns with their political leanings before it is proven false but neglect to share the the information is inaccurate after it is determined to be incorrect.

However, as I was glad to be reminded, the people have the power to accept and reject, to share and denounce, news. News requires an audience. If people make an effort to expose themselves to different perspectives, think twice about a story that seems unlikely, and subscribe to more credible sources to gain access to new avenues to check the credibility of information, fake news loses its power. Just as easily as people can share a fake news article and thus give credit to it, people can post about how a potential news story has been proved false and include a link to other sources offering a counter claim. I am really grateful that I went to the table talk discussion about fake news because it definitely gave me some new strategies for evaluating the legitimacy of news stories and some new ways of thinking about what it means to be media literate in the era of “fake news.”

2 thoughts on “Thinking Twice Before Clicking Share: Fake News and Critical Skepticism

1. Hey, I feel that I echo with your point in the blog. There has been such a hot debate going on about fake news, while I think fake news has existed for the long time since social media became popular. I use Facebook and a Chinese social media called WeChat. On both platforms I see people spreading posts or personal comments that are sometimes very extreme and not seem to be true. Sometime I see news that looks very “true” but later proved to be rumor after several days. I really agree with your point that this movement has pushed people to double check the sources of the information. At the same time, even for the news institutions that have great reputation, the information can still be biased, so I think it is a really good idea to stay cautious to any information on the news.

2. It’s incredible to see how prevalent “fake news” has become in our society and social media has definitely played a huge role. A few month ago, I read this article http://www.nbcnews.com/news/world/fake-news-how-partying-macedonian-teen-earns-thousands-publishing-lies-n692451 about a teenager from Macedonia who had earned a small fortune during the election season by writing fake news stories that attacked Hillary Clinton and were widely shared by Trump supporters on Facebook. The more ridiculous the stories were, the more clicks they got, and the more he made money. I think it’s so morally disheartening to see how many people have such blatant disrespect for something as fundamental as “truth” and “reality.” It’s good that Facebook is working to flag fake news and Twitter is trying to remove so-called trolls, but I don’t really think that will be enough to change the culture of believing only what you want to believe amidst this information war.