Do everything the opposite of what you would normally do

Last week was another great seminar involving career advancing tips. It was interesting to talk about the process of interviewing with a company. Having been interviewed and given interviews in the past I learned alot of information that I wish I had known. One interesting point was to ask the interviewer questions during the interview. While the purpose of interviews are for the company to get to know you, it is also a good opportunity for you to get to know the company you may be working at. This also allows the interview to become a two-way street which, as Sara described, is very beneficial.

Flashbacks came back when Sara discussed how some companies would use brain teasers to test the critical thinking ability of the candidates. When I conducted interviews in high school for the national honor society, my job was to go online and find brain teasers and unique questions to try and stump the candidates. Some of them were able to get them while others it seemed this would throw off their whole interview.

One of the main areas of discussion surrounded the extent to which one should pre memorize a story or monologue when speaking with the company. I am sort of in the middle when it comes to this debate. While I think it is good to have something to say prepared, I feel that an answer may be more genuine if it comes from the top of their head. That being said, I dont think you should just walk into the room and wing it. There is a gray area between being a robot and winging it. This is the area where i believe you need to be.

Ill have to use some of the advice that George Costanza taught us. One of my career goals is to get a job involving sports and George did a good job of doing that. Maybe Ill walk into James Dolan’s office and give him a piece of my mind about the team. Unfortunately, instead of getting a job, I think i would end up being dragged across the floor and out the door by a bunch of security guards.

In the end, this was a great seminar and I hope to attend more like this in the future.

2 thoughts on “Do everything the opposite of what you would normally do

1. Hi Thomas,
    Thank you for sharing these great tips ! I liked the point you mentioned regarding asking questions to employers. In addition to making it more conversational, it also allows to see if the company is really what you expected it to be. Coming up with questions might be a little challenging. I learned in one of my classes that one way to get around this could be good to ask what others interns do or what projects other interns have been engaged in. Most of us end up applying for internships who say that they will allow you to get some experience, but all you do is just sit down on your desk and count the hours. So this is one of the questions one could ask to understand about the work life in the company.

2. I enjoyed reading your post. I agree with your point of striking a balance between sounding like a robot and winging it in an interview. Also, it’s really important to ask the interviewer questions about the company, as it can help you connect with the interviewer.