That’s a lovely, lovely voice

The opera is something that I would have never thought to check out by myself, so I was quick to sign up for this unique opportunity. I quickly picked up on the aesthetics of La Traviata. I felt the play was designed in a minimalist manner to put the focus on the characters. Because there were so few features that caught the eye, every detail selection invited question. Why was Violetta’s dress red? Why did all of the males wear interchangeable tuxedos? What was up with the doctor?

La Traviata forces the viewer to confront his/her own morality in a way that parallels Violetta’s own journey. The courtesan suffers an affliction which is left unnamed as the important detail is that it is ending her life prematurely. Only Violetta and the audience are aware of the clock and Death Incarnate on the stage, while the males dancing in Violetta’s circles are preoccupied with their hedonist lifestyle. This approach contrasts with Violetta’s attempts to escape her fate by turning to love for some independence. When Violetta finally acknowledges the doctor she collapses, perhaps suggesting it was all for vain.