Channeling (A Bit of) George Costanza

Sarah’s interview tips, tricks, and advice offered some much needed perspective and advice as summer internship search is in full swing. What I valued most about these tips were that they provided a mindset with which I can now approach any interview, or more broadly, any important and slightly intimidating challenge or event. Sarah emphasized that the most successful, productive interviews are two-way conversations between equals. She pointed out that viewing an interviewer as holding all the power not only increases one’s nerves but also can lead one to try to please the interviewer. The cost of solely trying to please the interviewer is that it prevents an interviewee from conveying their authentic self and setting themselves apart. This forcefully resonated with me. In a recent phone interview, with every question the interviewer asked me, a feeling of intense panic set in, I began frantically trying to predict what answer he wanted. Sarah’s advice made me realize that this approach is not going to get me very far. In trying to sell myself and determine if the job for which and company with which I am interviewing is a good fit, while there are certainly answers that better communicate who I am, there are no “right” answers. I was viewing interviews as tests, but really, interviewers are more like trial-runs. As Sarah reminded us, both parties, the interviewer and the interviewee, have something great to offer. The function of the interview is to determine if the interviewer’s passion and skills will be cultivated and utilized by the given position. Thinking of an interview this way leads to reduced stress that will ultimately increase performance.

The seminar also made me reconsider taking the cookie-cutter answers provided by career services as the interviewing gospel. While these are definitely a great resource and a starting point from which to consider how one can think about answering commonly asked questions, playing it safe with previously approved answers leaves little room to stand out. Nearly all job and interview applicants have access to similar answer templates and go-to responses. Regurgitating what one thinks an employer wants to hear prevents an individual from revealing a powerful piece of their story or unveiling a completely unique perspective. Channeling a little George Costanza and taking some risk could go a long way. I am definitely glad to have a new mindset about interviewing.

2 thoughts on “Channeling (A Bit of) George Costanza

1. I really enjoyed reading your post. I went to this Rose Seminar as well, and Sarah’s point of not focusing on pleasing the interviewer also resonated with me. While a job interview is primarily a way for the company to determine if you’re a good fit, you also should use the interview to make that evaluation yourself.

2. I agree with Alex, this is a great post! I think sometimes it’s easy to forget that if you’re chosen for an interview, the employer already thinks you’re qualified. They are more trying to get a sense of your personality.