Let Them Eat Fat

Last week, Dr. Jonathan Robins spoke to the Rose Scholars about the change in fat and oil productions occurring in the various prepackaged foods. He focuses a great deal on the many affects plant based oils have on the human body and the production that goes into each type. It was interesting to hear that many years ago, trans fats were considered to be an abomination in foods, so it was replaced with saturated fats. Now saturated fats are seen as the devil and have been replaced with trans fats. In reality, both of these altered forms of fats do more harm than good in the body in how they break down and are processed. It brings me comfort to know that in the near future, it will be illegal to have either trans or saturated fats in foods, especially since prepackaged foods are nearly unavoidable to have in one’s life.

As a college student, I must admit that my intake of packaged foods has increased a fair amount. Though I am blessed enough to live on West Campus and attend Cornell University which offers the number one dining hall food experience in the country, I still indulge and need a quick protein bar, bag of popcorn, or ice cream every now and again. It would be a perfect world if eating healthy food was both readily accessible and economically friendly, but the truth is that neither are true. In order to eat a fresh salad, one must be willing to walk to a cafe and pay ten dollars, which on a part-time job’s salary can be seen as too expensive in comparison to a two dollar protein bar. Also, it is faster to consume a bag of chips versus sitting down and eating a good plate of chicken, grains, and vegetables.

As a dancer, I understand the importance of having a good balance of protein and nutrients in daily meals, but it is so easy to get carried away with how how congested a schedule can become. By finding better fat and oil replacements and enforcing their use when making prepackaged foods, society will benefit greatly from the healthy options that are available to them. Also, I really appreciated Dr. Robins’s comment that fats are good for you. It is very easy to think that by eliminating fats from one’s diet completely they will feel and look healthier. Quite the opposite, without at least 30% of fats in one’s daily food intake, one can feel week, delirious, and be in a bad mood. I learned a lot by having Dr. Robin’s come and speak with us on Wednesday and more importantly it allowed me to look at my diet in a whole new way.