What’s Cooking Today?

Cooking in the Cornell food lab made me think of companies such as Blue Apron and Hello Fresh, which deliver weekly boxes of ingredients with easy-to-follow instructions on how to cook delicious, professional-chef-created, recipes from the comfort of your own home. These companies emphasize organic ingredients and healthy eating, while catering to the convenience today’s consumers are longing for. At only 5 years old, Blue Apron has amassed a net worth of about 50 million dollars, and is good evidence that America is experiencing a transition away from fast food to more healthy, wholesome options. Indeed, a Rose Cafe from last semester examined the food industry and explained this very trend–consumers care more and more about the ingredients of what they’re eating.

The cooking class resulted in a decadent display of dishes I was impressed with. For college students who live off the House meal plan, we outperformed expectations. I think this speaks to how anyone is able to cook up a delicious meal when the the right ingredients, tools, and instructions are provided. And that’s exactly what the success of these food delivery companies shows.

Over February break, I received a trial box from the company Hello Fresh. At the discounted trial box price, it was well worth the well-rounded, tasty meals I cooked. Though I wouldn’t think of purchasing a full price box at $60 for 6 meals right now, I can see how it would be a great option for a busy working couple or family.

Overall, cooking at the food lab made for a great rose scholars event and a thought-provoking few hours. It will be interesting to see how the food industry will change in response to consumers’ new demands of healthy, wholesome eating alongside convenience.