City of God

I don’t think I’ve ever watched violent movies on my own but, this was definitely one of the better films that I have seen. The idea of crime retaining a type of order in an area that has the full potential to be completely lawless. City of God depicts how, when in need of resources, people can start equating actions with survival, regardless of any moral restrictions that others have the time to worry about. I liked the idea that what can be perceived as morally wrong for some can provide life and order for others. The movie followed the idea that you cannot just read a label and determine whether it is evil. For example, most people think of drug cartels as evil and they are…to an extent. In the context of this movie, Li’l Ze was this horrible character but as long as he was in absolute power, there was peace.

Another aspect of this movie that I liked was that wrongdoings will always breed more wrong to come. Li’l Ze was an awful character from the introduction of his character and he does nothing to redeem himself. Thus, it was not a huge shock in how he died by the hands of his enemies/child soldiers. However, the transformation and fate of Knockout Ned was interesting. Knockout Ned was humiliated by Li’l Ze, his girlfriend was raped in front of him, and his family was killed. Regardless of his initial intentions of being a righteous character, Knockout Ned was also contaminated by the business he was involved in. Although he never became the merciless character that Li’l Ze was, Knockout Ned lost his path on the way of getting his revenge. The wrong done to him was continued by him to inflict another and that led to both his and his victims’ downfall.