Healthy Eating in College

This past Saturday I participated in a cooking workshop hosted by the Nutrition Lab. As an experienced cook, I found it to be relatively basic but certainly fun. The workshop had a lot of great tips for people who are new to or would just like to learn more about how to cook for themselves in a college environment. The event was also a really great way to learn about healthy alternatives to other meals students may turn to. Living on campus and eating in dining halls is incredibly convenient, but it often doesn’t offer student the opportunity to learn about cooking, food shopping, and healthy eating habits. At this point in our lives, it can often be hard to find the time to cook for yourself or to eat healthy, but learning skills like these are incredibly valuable in the long term. The habits we form in college will stick with us for years to come, so we might as well take the time to make sure they’re healthy ones.

Some of my favorite recipes were the salmon with quinoa stuffing and the one pot spinach tomato pasta. These basic recipes are great starting points to bounce off of and really experiment with ingredients and seasonings. Overall, the workshop was a great opportunity to get to know fellow Rose Scholars, and sample some tasty snacks! I would definitely attend an event like this again, and highly recommend that others do too.

One thought on “Healthy Eating in College

1. Yeah, I wish I could have attended this workshop! I think college is the time to transition into the sort of eating habits you want to maintain as an adult, full of fruit, vegetables, and other healthy goodies. Instead, I think that the variety of options in the dining halls has influenced me to select whichever ones are most immediately satisfying, so I’ve been gorging on cakes, cookies, and fried food at the expense of other stuff. I wonder if cooking on my own could better the situation.