Why watch the Superbowl?

I was born a Jets fan. My dad was a Jets fan. His dad was a Jets fan. That being said, I KNOW what it means to lose. We do it pretty well (but hey at least we’re not the Browns).  But one thing about being a Jets fan is the inherent hatred we have for Tom Brady, Bill Belichick, and the Patriots. Now I went into this playoff series knowing full well the Pats would make it to the Super Bowl. Unfortunately, that wasn’t a question. I decided to start watching NFC games to determine which team I had to rally behind in hope to defeat the Patriots. For the longest time I believed Dallas would take it home, as they rightfully deserved a championship this season. When they lost to Green Bay, it was back to being up in the air.  Then when I heard the Falcons would face the Pats, I admittedly thought Matt Ryan wouldn’t be able to pull out the W.

Watching the Falcons dominate the first half was actually a thrilling surprise, especially getting to see my roommate’s (a Pats fan) reaction to the game.  Then Brady happened. As always that guy finds a way to win. Regardless of the outcome, the Super Bowl this year was one exciting game to watch. And one thing I learned this week is just how sad it is that people at this school don’t appreciate one of the biggest sports events of the year. People not only do not watch the Super Bowl, but they also don’t see any reason to. If not only to watch the commercials, I believe the Super Bowl is one of those events that people should at least watch once. It is the culmination of hard work and two triumphant teams battling it out for the championship. I hope that in years to come, the current trend of NFL viewers decreasing will change and people will come to realize how beautiful a sport football is.

One thought on “Why watch the Superbowl?

1. I agree that the Super Bowl, particularly this past game, is worth watching at least once. I enjoy watching football; however, I think the declining viewership you mention will continue. The negative health effects of playing football seem like they will either lead parents to stop allowing their children to play football or lead to rule changes at lower levels. These rule changes will lead to less contact which is less entertaining by many people’s standards. As young kids grow up playing a new type of football these changes will likely influence the professional game and continue to decrease viewership. Just my predictions. I hope I’m wrong and that someone can figure out how to make football both safe and entertaining.