The Little Things

Last Saturday, Cornell experienced its typical Saturday — the snow was falling, the wind was angry, and there were at least a few students exhausted by the week. Yet for almost an entire two hours, an entire audience laughed nearly continuously at short cat videos compiled by a Will Braden. Going into the event, I expected to fall asleep at least once, because despite my affinity for cute things and natural exclamations when I see them, I hadn’t slept. Additionally, I have never considered myself an animal lover. However, at this event, these two hours brightened my, and I’m sure, many others.

At this event, Cornell Cinema was packed to its max, with a large part of the audience filled with children. As we saw cats make poor decisions, show their fear, pounce continuously on objects, and warm our hearts, it reminded me of how comforting it can be to see the silliness of ourselves in others. In this event, I heard laughs from adults and students as loud as any other laugh from the children. While of course we all strive to maintain our humor through our lives, it can sometimes be strained by the activities that worry us in our daily lives. The carefree ability to laugh uninhibited, and be amused by pets was a reminder of how little things in life can truly make our day better if we let it.

2 thoughts on “The Little Things

1. This sounds like a wonderful event – even though I don’t like cats. At Cornell, especially during prelim season, students often go from library to class to bed with little time to take a break and laugh a little. Over the past two snow days, I have heard more laughter and seen more smiling faces than any other mid semester day I can remember. People were eating with friends, sledding down the slope, and taking time to sit back and relax a bit before returning to studying. It was refreshing to see happy people all around, and I can imagine the cat video fest had a similar atmosphere.

2. This sounded like a wonderful event that brought everyone together! I too, have an affinity for cute things–and wished I was there to laugh and enjoy the cat videos. Glad you had a good time though, and you’re totally right, in the end it’s always the small things that matter!