Perception is Reality

My first time watching the matrix resulted in a questioning of reality, right and wrong, and annoyance at the portrayal of the only female character in the film.

Neo is faced with a choice to either take a red pill and be aware of the matrix or take a blue pill to return back to the matrix, ignorant of what the world truly is. When I first considered the decision, I decided on the red pill because it seemed like the right decision. After all, it was the decision the courageous protagonist made. Shouldn’t truth be valued above everything else?

After thinking about it, even though I value the truth in knowing what reality is, it’s not right for one person to decide the realities of many. Though Morpheus is a hero I respect and admire, perhaps his unending search for “the one” is not a worthy goal. Reality is what you make it. And unearthing the reality of the matrix throws an entire system into chaos. What I see facing the humans when they wake up is not more real, and it’s certainly less happy and certain. The red pill is overrated and taking it shows inconsideration of the fate of humanity as a whole.