A Successful Legal System: It’s All in The People

The Rose Cafe with Judge Scott Miller was incredibly compelling and enlightening for me. Judge Miller is a New York State judge, and he shared with us numerous aspects of his experiences in the world of law, from being a defense attorney to his current position as a judge. He reflected on the moral dilemma that defense attorneys experience when it comes to defending individuals that have all but admitted their guilt, and he reconciled these situations by essentially being committed to the legal system and preserving its integrity. Indeed, under our law system, individuals are presumed innocent until proven guilty, and thus a defense attorney has a duty to carry out his/her responsibilities to the best of his/her abilities. And although such dilemmas are difficult, I definitely agree that such a approach is the most fair and moral.

What amazed and impressed me the most about the Judge was his approach to his job. Judges must remain impartial and unbiased in their work, but at the same it is crucial to have integrity and a sense of morality because such elements are depended on in just about every decision, such as bail and sentencing. I could definitely sense the quality of his character, and it gave me a bit more confidence in our legal system because of the existence of judges like Judge Miller. In this vein, I believe that the legal system is the most important aspect of a functioning society, since as the Judge emphasized himself, a high-quality legal system is crucial for ensuring the morality and ethical nature of a society.

One thought on “A Successful Legal System: It’s All in The People

1. This cafe still remains as one of my favorites! I remember one of the questions Judge Miller was asked regarding how he feels about defending defendants that have claimed to be guilty and actually being able to get them off. As your caption states, its all in the people, and that is exactly what Judge Miller said. He doesn’t carry this on his conscious because he believes that it is the job of the prosecution and jury to find a defendant guilty.