Living with One Eye Open

This week I attended an art show hosted by the Rose House in the rose dining room. When I walked in, I immediately noticed a different aura than I was used to feeling in that room. I heard smooth jazz teeming from the corner, where a pianist and a sax player smoothly conducted their instruments. I tasted the fiery pinch of red salsa, which had been set out with chips for visitor’s delight. Most importantly, I saw art splattered across the walls, which popped out against the gray concrete that usually surrounds me when I enter the dining hall. This art was like nothing I’d ever seen before. It was fascinating for one reason: because it revealed the beauty in the mid-blink. Think about it: have you ever seen a picture of yourself caught off guard, with one eye shut and an extra chin showing? These kinds of pictures represent the gut-wrenching fear of every person when they get a notification saying so-and-so “tagged you in a photo”. Immediately you think, “Oh god! What does the public think of me now!” Well, the walls of Rose dining hall were covered in pencil sketches of these moments. I saw a plethora of faces that were caught off guard, blinking, frowning, coughing, agonizing, slumping. While at first I was lightheartedly amused by these photos, with time I became more infatuated with them. This art show made me reflect on the human experience, and realize that there are no ugly faces. All of us share this extremely strenuous journey we call life, and sometimes that just makes us blink. Our faces are constantly evolving, expressing, living. There is something inherently beautiful about that.