Vagina =/= Woman

Last Saturday night I joined a group of other Rose Scholars to go view the heavily advertised “Vagina Monologues”. From the name of the show, I was already pretty off-put. I didn’t have any interest in watching a trans-exclusionary radical feminist skit show on a weekend, but due to a busy week I wasn’t left with another choice but to crowd into Bailey with all the other patrons. Maybe I would be pleasantly surprised after all.

After about the third sketch about vaginal orgasms and various exclamations about pussy power, I was really glad I hadn’t coughed up 10 dollars for this show. Prior to the viewing, our GRF Sarah informed us that the show was based off the 1990’s original, and it was quite obvious. I can see a time when these sketches might have been groundbreaking or taboo, but in this day and age the message is outdated and a little ignorant. The majority of the sketches reinforced the idea that having a vagina and knowing your way around it is essential to being a woman, which completely excludes the transgendered community and other groups that identify as female without the reproductive genitalia. Other issues I had with the production were the seemly random interjections of woman’s issues in between sketches.  What’s the point of bringing up the struggles of homeless females in the United States if you aren’t going to elaborate or shed more light on the topic? Overall, with the huge platform they are given, the show would do better to update their sketches to better reflect current woman’s issues and not cater specifically to the cis-gendered.

With all that said, the performers themselves were great and committed completely to the roles they played. The show itself, however, was just not my cup of tea.

2 thoughts on “Vagina =/= Woman

1. I personally have never attended a vagina monologue but am sad to hear your experience was so poor! I do think their message may try to empower women but just isn’t achieving it because of the outdated material. Maybe we could discuss more about this in person!

2. I definitley understand your concerns about the show excluding trans people, and agree that gender is a wide and varied experience, one that cannot simply be reduced to biological or anatomical distinctions. I definitley think it should directly address people with vaginas who do not define themselves as “women” and should be more trans-inclusionary. However, I would also like to point out that nowhere in the play do they actually directly link vaginas with womanhood- the show is not about what it is like to be a woman, its about what the experiences of having a vagina- which happen to include billions of people who have vaginas and identify as women. I do agree with your point but I don’t think you should dismiss the show so quickly- I hope the show learns to improve and become more progressive and inclusionary