Using Feedback as a Tool

This past Wednesday I attended the Rose Cafe held with Dr. Cynthia Hill, a house fellow and visiting researcher. This talk marked the first time I was able to attend a Rose Cafe in it’s new environment, and I thoroughly enjoyed the more conversational atmosphere it provided. I felt that I was able to gain more from the experience as the new structure fostered discussion and was much more conducive to posing questions and receiving feedback from the speaker.

I found Dr. Hill’s talk, which centered around how to maximize/understand feedback from professors, quite enlightening due to the perspective she provided as a former educator. In the discussion, Dr. Hill stressed that the dialogue this feedback creates between student and professor can be a critical tool for academic and intellectual growth, that is, if we take advantage of it.

In my personal experience as a student, I have found professor feedback to be either immensely helpful or incredibly confusing. Many times it is hard to decipher feedback but, as Dr. Hill stressed, the best way to understand your professor’s comments is to ask about them. Taking the time to speak with your professors regarding how you could improve your assignments not only helps you to perform better in the course, but also provides you with access to insights that make you a better writer and learner. In your time as an undergraduate, you should be gleaning more than just grades. It is important to also grow your ability to think critically and creatively, which will prove advantageous far beyond the boundaries of the classroom. With this goal in mind, always speak to your professors about their feedback, and use their knowledge to your advantage not only as a student in their course but as a life-long learner.