Female Revolution

I went to the Vagina Monologues last year, but that did not diminish the fresh, raw nature of the play this year. Once again I was blown away by the number of strong, brave women we have at this school. The subject matter of the play is intense, and often “embarrassing”, sometimes requiring graphic displays and/or sounds. The audience loves it, but the guts it would take to be the one doing it would have to be made of solid steel.

When I think about why I love this play so much, myriad answers come to mind. But the one that stands out the most is that I just love seeing a bunch of women get up on stage and tell the world how proud they are to be women. It’s empowering to see, and I leave each year feeling just a little bit stronger and braver myself. I feel like maybe one day I can be as proud of my body as the women who were interviewed by the play’s creator. Another reason I love the play is that it is brazen–it does not quail from shocking statements or lewd jokes–it is bold, unadorned, and unapologetic. Exactly what women’s empowerment movements are all about. And that may be the true reason why this play always inspires me–because in its core, I sense the history of female revolution. I watch this play and am reminded of the countless women who boldly stood up for their right to exist as equal members of society. I am reminded that there are many more issues to fight for today, and that I too must do my part.