Immigration Policy vs. International Cooperation at Cornell

Last Wednesday, I attended a panel discussion held by a law professor, the director of the International Students and Scholars Office, and a Pakistani journalist.  They discussed Trump’s recent changes to immigration policy, as well as specifically what actions Cornell has taken and what resources are available at the school to students who may need them.  The beginning of the panel largely focused on reviewing exactly what has happened.  There have been three executive orders which have imposed a 90 day ban on nationals of 7 Muslim-majority countries, a 120 day ban on all refugees, and an indefinite ban on Syrian refugees.  There are plans for a border wall with Mexico, and more aggressive immigration enforcement policies have been put in place.  Advice for international travel was discussed as well as the role of the ISSO at Cornell.  Raza Ahmad Rumi, who fled Pakistan after an assasination attempt by Sunni extremists, expressed concern at growing Islamophobia and its adverse affects on international cooperation and “homegrown” radicalization.

When the floor was opened for discussion, one of the first questions asked was one that I’ve been wondering about for months now — How on earth is one supposed to keep on top such rapid developments?  Trump has only been president for a month, and every single day brings new controversy, new changes, and new outrageous statements by his administration.  The proliferation of sensationalist and sometimes outright false news stories only compounds this issue — as does the counterpart claims that any and all news by any news outlet is “fake news”.  The panel recommended the New York Times and the Washington Post as reliable sources, as well as Global Cornell.  I had no idea Global Cornell even existed, and I was quite pleased to find that the website keeps a succinct but updated summary of the course of Trump’s immigration actions, including the full text of the initial order itself and the decision of the Ninth Circuit Court.  Global Cornell also provides an extensive list of resources for legal assistance, counseling, events, etc.

As for what Cornell itself has been doing, the university has filed an amicus brief arguing against the executive order, along with 16 other universities.  In November, Cornell declared itself a “Sanctuary Campus”.  In letters from interim president Hunter Rawlings, Cornell has repeatedly asserted its commitment to all of its student regardless of immigration status or nationality.  However, the panel briefly discussed the practical limitations to what Cornell can do to protect its students.  One DACA student asked, quite simply, “How easy would it be for Cornell to be forced to give out my information?”  The answer to this question was rather unsatisfying, and seemed to rely largely on the fact that we’re an isolated campus far from any immigration office, and the fact that our campus has apparently not seen an immigration enforcement officer in recent memory.  Unfortunately, we’re living in times when the precedent of “recent memory” doesn’t appear to be reliable.  DACA is untouched…for now.  The courts have put a stay on the travel ban…for now.  Reportedly, Trump will unveil a new draft of the order sometime within the week.

I’m left with a sort of itchy feeling that I really ought to be doing more than refreshing news sites and muttering about the inscription on the Statue of Liberty.  Doing what?  I don’t know.  Neither I nor my family is directly affected by immigration policy.  I’m a 19 year old student.  I’m not even a law or politics student — I’m a prospective chemist taking 21 credits.  I feel like I have no time, money, knowledge, or services to contribute.  BUT, I suspect I could find some if I were given a specific goal to contribute to.  So, if there is someone out there who is more actively involved in protecting our community’s (and our country’s) spirit of international and inter-religious cooperation, then please let people know how to get involved!  I suspect there are many like me on campus and in the wider community who would love to be doing more than grumbling if presented with the opportunity.

One thought on “Immigration Policy vs. International Cooperation at Cornell

1. I really liked your post; it was very informative and articulate. While I’ve been keeping up with reports of the president’s actions in his first month, I never *really* realised what a huge impact his policies have on real people and real families. Hearing people’s personal stories and concerns is eye-opening.
    It is really awful to feel helpless in a situation like this where you feel like you have little control or means to bring about change. But posts like this on social media help bring awareness and push back against Trump’s controversial policies. Other simple ways to get involved are to call your congressional representatives and attend town halls. And definitely vote in the midterm elections!