What actually matters?

Dr. Hill is one of the most inspiring people I have met. His motivation is truly astounding. Recent events have led him to reflect on what really matters in life, and he asked each of us to do the same. In my day-to-day life, it is rare that I take a step back and reflect on what is actually meaningful, but whenever I do, it puts everything else in perspective.

What truly matters to me is the health and happiness of the people I am close to. These friends and family are the people who keep me going – without these connections I would feel empty.

During the week before I returned to Cornell for the spring semester, my mother unexpectedly had to be taken to the hospital and flown to a larger hospital for an emergency procedure. She is still recovering and each day I am thankful for the team of doctors and nurses who saved her life. It was one of the most frightening experiences I have had, and it has changed my view on life. I still think about my career goals, I hope to become a surgeon one day, but I also feel that it is important to have a balance and set aside time to be with the people who matter most to me.