People and Politics

Professor Enn’s Rose Cafe this past week, first and foremost, was a pleasant change from any of the past Rose Cafes I have attended. The atmosphere in Professor Blalock’s apartment was much more relaxed and comfortable in comparison to previous ones held in the library that felt more like a classroom setting. Because of this, the atmosphere was more conducive to questions.

I wasn’t sure what to expect from the conversation, as the main topic, the current state of the country, seemed pretty vague. However, people had plenty of questions for Professor Enn’s right off the bat and soon I was having flashbacks to high school when some AP US History topics were being mentioned that have recently become more relevant in the state of the current administration. Being in a major that doesn’t require any sort of government of economic classes has definitely made me a bit rusty but this event was a good reminder that I need to reeducate myself in order to have a more informed opinion.

After discussing recently implemented policies and the general polarization of country’s political parties, the conversation ended on the frustrating, tired note of “respecting other people’s political opinion”. This mindset is the result of having privilege. It’s easy to say you respect someone’s decision to vote for tr*mp when his comments and policies do not put the lives of you or your loved ones at stake. People of color, immigrants, refugees, Muslims, the LQBTQ community, and other marginalized groups cannot say the same.

Robert Jones puts it better than I could: “We can disagree and still love each other unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist.”

2 thoughts on “People and Politics

1. I agree with your observation about the environment. It was very casual and conducive to asking questions which people would otherwise not have asked. I also felt that this sort of QA style meeting made the topics we were discussing much more interesting.

2. I agree! The environment was definitely way better for the audience. It allowed for questions and dialogue to flow much better. I also agree that this discussion in particular made me think more about how to educate myself about the current politics and keep an open mind.