Dear X people

February 8th, 2017.It was the first day I learn about him, James Baldwin. First I was skeptical to go at this event, but I ended up going because I had to. Personally, I do not regret my choice. I actually felt in love with him, and I wanted to read more of his works. This documentary was very powerful I like the fact that the mixed the past and the present and wrapped everything with his voice throughout the movie. It was a powerful documentary, but I was mostly impressed with what he said at least some of them. I do not agree with everything, but I was glad that he shared some of my beliefs.  For this reason, I felt the need to share more of my thought here, but first I would like to warn any sensitive person not to read the rest of this post. If you do not feel like you will read with an open mind, I would advise you already not to read the next line because I do not guarantee you that it will not challenge your beliefs. It took me a while to write this draft because I do not want to seem judgy at all. This is my opinion feel free to add a comment. If somehow it upsets you, I am sorry but I recall that I advised you not to read if you were sensitive.

I am a black woman born and raised in an African country; however, I was not aware of my skin color until I landed to America. That is when I learned that it was a thing to “be black”. I knew the story of the slave in America. I knew what the black community in America was enduring every days, but I guess at some point I thought it was getting better. I have never gotten electrocuted by a cop because I am black. Neither then I got beaten for my skin color. I already faced racism however, but my point is that my point of view of this situation might be different than someone who were born and raised here. Nevertheless it does not change the facts that I am black, that I am now living in the US, and that it destroys me to see this situation it still exists. In my opinion, the fault is shared between the opponents. They are all stuck in the past, and as long as they refuse to let it goes this situation will perpetuate from generations to generations. It is exhausting,

One thought on “Dear X people

1. This comment is very powerful to me because of its relatability. I am a first-generation American, and my entire family is from and still lives in Kenya. It was not until I reached high-school and college that I began to realize and understand what my racial identity meant and the intersectionality of my African, Black, and American identities. I am really grateful to this film for helping me ponder that more deeply, and understand the experiences of others as well
    .