Political Disagreements

This week’s Rose Café was a political conversation with Professor Peter Enns. It was definitely an interesting conversation and it was great to hear a Professor’s opinions along with different students’ political views.

However, I think one idea that came up towards the end of the conversation particularly frustrated me- we discussed how it is important not to “question the motives” of people who disagree with us and talk about politics in an inclusive manner that respects the perspectives of people with different political views than us. In general, I completely understand this. I am definitely eager and open to learning new and different things and understand opinions different to mine and realize that everyone has different experiences and identities which shape their political views.

However, I think things are extremely different with this most recent election and trying to build an environment “inclusive and respectful” of Trump supporters is dangerous and normalizes Trump as a President. We must not forget that this has been arguably the most divisive election that has ever occurred and it is something that feels a lot more personal and sensitive. This election hasn’t just been about something like say, trickle down economics. Believing in trickle down economics or other Republican policies doesn’t make someone a bad person and does not harm the lives of other people. The election of Trump is life threatening and extremely scary for millions of people- women, minorities, immigrants, and others. It is quite literally a matter of life and death for some people, a matter of being able keep one’s basic human rights and being able to stay in the United States. To me, being “inclusive” of Trump supporters is to normalize and encourage blatant xenophobia, misogyny and racism which actually HARMS people! I am open to respecting opinions, but sexism and racism to me are not merely opinions and I will not respect or be inclusive of a view which harms and threatens people. I would love to hear what a Republican had to say about his or her political views in any other election- but this election period has been far too appalling and is too grave and serious of an issue to say that all opinions should be respected.